Sunday 5 February 2017

Museo Napoleonico Cuba

Some photos from my visit to the Napoleon Museum in Havana, Cuba. As a huge enthusiast of Napoleonic history, and a fervent Bonapartist, imagine my surprise when walking the streets of Havana with my wife during our honeymoon we unexpectedly came across this incredible Museum. I didn't even know of its existence until setting eyes on it!
It may seem strange that Havana has one of the most important Napoleonic museums in the world, but the fantastic collection was built up by a wealthy collector of Napoleonic artifacts, which was then nationalised after the Revolution when the aristocrats had to flee Cuba. I was blown away by some of the exhibits. Well worth a visit if you are ever in Cuba.

I really liked this painting showing captured Mameluke standards being presented to the victorious commander after the battle of the Pyramids. I thought I knew most of the period paintings of Napoleonic battles, but this was an image I had never seen before.

Any resemblance?


These would make an impressive wargames army!


1) French Carabinier breastplate and helmet, 2) Russian infantry uniform and musket.



Officers Shako, 24th Ligne Regiment.


In battle this hat was worth 40,000 men!


Napoleons pocket watch, and his desk from the Palace at Fontainebleau.




The actual bed that he died in, on St Helena, and his death mask. I became extremely emotional when viewing these.




2 comments:

  1. Wonderfull! Thanks for sharing!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drooling over massed battalions is a something those in the hobby often do.I must get back to painting some of mine hopefully one of these days. BB

    ReplyDelete