Friday 17 February 2017

7 units for the cost of 1 (sort of)

The great thing about Napoleonic figure collecting & war-gaming is that everybody does it in their own unique way. Some folks spend hours painting and basing a single detailed 1/32 scale model whereas others churn out 3mm models that can be used to create huge battalions with dozens of figures, with lots of options in between these scales. And there are a glut of Napoleonic rules out there catering for these many different approaches. My approach is based around the idea of minimum effort and cost for maximum coverage of the Napoleonic era; I am pretty much obsessed with the period from the outbreak of the French Revolution to the final collapse of Napoleons Empire in 1815, and I want to cover every army and every major campaign with my collection.
So I cheat! Some of my units can be used as passable doubles, and I've deliberately based my units to maximise their usage.

As an example, here is a unit of early Prussians that I would use for smaller tactical level games involving a limited number of battalions;


This is the same unit split into two battalions that I would use for a grand tactical big battle, i.e. suitable for the Et Sans Resultat! rule system.


And the same units posing as Piedmontese, suitable for Bonaparte's 1st Italian campaign. A quick flag change, and the ruse de guerre is carried out on an unsuspecting world!

And the same units acting as Spaniards. I have quite a few "proper" Spanish infantry units composed of the recent Hat and Emhar releases (both of which are lovely models), but by bringing in these guys I can bulk out my force if I need extra units for very large battles.

Expect to see a few more ruses as the tale of 35 armies continues. Of course, this approach has a number of drawbacks and will horrify the purists. Facing colours and command staff in particular will be inauthentic. But overall I like my system because it has saved me a huge amount of time and allowed me to cover the entire period passably well.

1 comment:

  1. Button Counters can be an absolute pest! Especially on Forums.
    I always remind them,that they paint models. Whereas I paint toy soldiers. That usually shuts them up. Concerning the Hat set in question,you did a darn good job of hobby style work painting them. I painted mine as Prussians too. So well done buddy. BB, yes from Benno`s Figure Forum!

    ReplyDelete